Marta A. Collins concentrates her practice in the areas of business and corporate law, estate planning, and estate settlement.
Marta’s business and corporate practice ranges from advising clients on business formation, including business entity selection, formation of limited liability companies, partnerships, S corporations, C corporations, and non-stock corporations; business counseling, shareholders agreements, operating agreements and employment agreements; to acquiring and selling businesses, as well as ownership transition. Marta also works with clients to develop business succession plans for family businesses, which may include buy sell agreements and real estate transfers.
Attorney Collins’s estate planning practice ranges from preparation of Wills, Trusts, Powers of Attorney, Appointments of Health Care Representative documents, and Living Wills. Marta works with clients to develop estate tax savings strategies, plan for incapacity and long term care, including plans for children with special needs. With respect to estate settlement matters, Marta’s practice encompasses representing executors, trustees, and beneficiaries in the administration of estates and trusts.
Attorney Collins has been licensed to practice law in Connecticut since 2000. She has been corporate counsel for large financial and insurance institutions, including Citigroup, Prudential Financial and The Hartford. As corporate counsel, she advised her clients on matters ranging from federal securities laws pertaining to annuity and variable life insurance; broker-dealer sales practices; insurance law; corporate compliance and governance; intellectual property, including patents and trademarks; to contract negotiations and human resources matters. Most recently, Marta was Assistant General Counsel for a healthcare technology company, WEX Health, where she advised her corporate clients in matters ranging from contract negotiation of “in cloud-based” technology and healthcare payment solutions, non-disclosure, vendor, and HIPAA Business Associate agreements; to software licensing and providing legal advice and consultation with respect corporate policies and procedures, intellectual property, and ERISA, HIPAA, IRS and other federal and state regulatory matters.
Marta’s financial, corporate and healthcare background helps her advise her estate planning clients and her corporate and business clients on issues ranging from starting, running, and growing their businesses to selling their businesses and business succession plans.
Marta was born and spent her early childhood in Poland. She is fluent in Polish and takes pride in working with her Polish speaking clients.
Marta has worked and lived in Connecticut since becoming an attorney nearly two decades ago. She lives in Essex with her husband and their children.
- American Bar Association, Member
- Connecticut Bar Association, Member
- Connecticut Bar Association, Estates & Probate Section Member
- Pace University School of Law (J.D. 1999, Dean’s List, Certificate in International Law); Associate membership of University College London, Faculty of Law (E.U. Law, British Legal System, Foreign Trade and Investment Law of East Asia)
- Boston University (B.A.1996, cum laude, Modern British and Irish Literature); Associate membership of University of Oxford (Modern British and Irish Literature, British Politics and History)
- Miss Porter’s School (1992)
- Various local community activities and organizations, including the Essex Elementary School Foundation, Essex Elementary School Parent Teacher Organization and Child & Family Agency of Southeastern Connecticut.